Worthing Borough Council Labour Group – What we will do when we take control of the council
The policy pledges are underpinned by three key principles
- We will put the people of Worthing at the heart of Council decision making
- We will challenge discrimination and promote equality of opportunity
- We will embed combating the climate emergency in all our policies
1. We will regenerate the public spaces in our town centre, developing them into safe, attractive areas where our Community can meet and enjoy our town.
2. We will review the current seafront offering, in partnership with our community. We will prioritise the regeneration of the Lido into a community space that makes the most of this beautiful heritage building.
3. We will review our current investments with our voluntary and community sector, and look at where we can invest smarter for our local Community needs
4. We will prioritise allocation of Council contracts on businesses that are based and run in the local area, and will encourage our Public Sector partners to do the same
5. We pledge to work with our communities to improve the parks and green spaces in Worthing and to secure their future as the foundation of the green corridors we will create to provide pathways for people and wildlife to move freely and safely across our town.
6. Many families in Worthing face fuel poverty because their homes lack adequate heat insulation. Carbon emissions from buildings are the biggest barrier to achieving a zero carbon Worthing by 2030. We will actively seek out residents facing fuel poverty and provide technical and financial help to retrofit high quality insulation schemes, reducing energy consumption, carbon emissions and energy bills.
Health and Wellbeing
7. Coronavirus has affected the lives of everyone. As we move through the Pandemic, we will work to reduce the effects of the virus, both on residents and our wider community wherever possible. As we come out of the Pandemic in to our new normal, we will work to ensure that County and National Government actions protect and support all residents in Worthing
8. Mental health and physical health are equally important. We will work to make sure physical health and mental wellbeing are properly supported and funded, with special focus on young people.
9. We pledge to increase the number of affordable homes in Worthing aided by setting up a Council Owned Registered Social Landlord. We will buy property and purchase land to build and provide social housing and truly affordable homes. We will increase charges on empty properties and insist developers meet their required obligations to provide affordable homes in all new developments.
10. We will help residents in need of a home with loans to cover rental or mortgage deposits. The scheme would be extended to provide start-up loans for small business start-ups in the town providing employment for local people.